WHY SHOULD WE TEACH DRAMA?
"Tell me and I will forget.
Show me and I will remember.
Involve me and I will understand."
Drama is a crucial tool which enables all children to actively engage in effective learning across the curriculum.
Look at how it has enriched and deepened the children’s learning in lots of
• Being in role gives children the opportunity to explore values and
beliefs and the way that they impact on people’s lives.
Year 2 Greens and Reds - the children experienced how their lives could change dramatically under a new monarchy/ruler. They developed strong emotional responses to being forced to follow new rules and made an informed decision whether to rebel or follow the new regime.
• Drama promotes teamwork. In order for drama to be successful children
need to show respect for other’s needs, interests and feelings as well
as their own.
• Drama provides a platform to explore difficult topics in a relevant
and safe way.
Exploring immigration and social acceptance
• It creates an opportunity for problem solving and helps children make
reasoned judgments on moral dilemmas.
Decision making in the story 'Stick Man'.
• Drama helps children to become open to more ideas and gives them
a willingness to modify their thoughts or values in the light of experience.
• Children develop the ability to think through the consequences of their
own and other’s actions.
• Finally, drama provides children with an opportunity to gain crucial
life skills like problem solving, communication, collaboration, self control,
acceptance and discipline.
We have been using actions to help us rehearse our stories before writing them
Year 2 responded to a poem through creating a still image.
Hot seating a character from a story helped us learn more about him
Acting out a problem helped us to solve it
Role on the wall, exploring a character from our class novel.
Using drama to help us make predictions
Freeze framing key events from our class novel 'Street Child'
Acting out before writing a story
Performing a poem using actions, rap and dance
If you have any questions regarding the curriculum we teach please contact the school directly.